‘Eco-Schools’ is a Global programme, for environmental education, providing certification at an International level.
It is the biggest schools programme in the world, connecting 67 countries, 51 000 schools worldwide and the network grows daily.
‘Eco-Schools’ began 20 years ago.
It began in England, set up by the environmental charity; ‘Keeping Britain Tidy’.
Then, in 1992, in response to the needs highlighted in a UN Conference, that focused on Environment and Development, Eco-Schools International was formed by the FEE.
Eco-schools is student-led.
The Programme is real-world learning. It is designed to empower students, the school and wider community, with environmental education, by focusing on set themes.
Its aim is to improve awareness of our global environment, improve the schools carbon footprint and to provide financial saving for the school.
Schools follow a simple seven-step process, that forms the criteria for the Green – flag award.
There are three awards that are attainable, Bronze, Silver and the Green-flag award.
The Bronze and Silver awards are recognition of the steps towards the Green-flag status.
We are proud to say that the Haileybury Astana team are an Eco-friendly and quiet environmentally savvy community.
Let's welcome our new Eco Team and wish them all the luck in fulfilling their environmental goals.
The team have shared some great ideas of their passions and enthusiasm for this academic year. Some ideas include....monitoring the paper waste, our use of energy, raising awareness about what materials can be recycled and organizing more collections of materials and products to support our local community.
We hope our Haileybury family can support us in making our future a greener one.
A very current topic in the news at the moment is the climate crisis and many of you will be aware of 16 year old Greta Thunberg’s efforts to address this with world leaders. School children in 150 countries around the world have been showing their support by protesting about climate change.
All children in KS2 and the senior school met together on Friday, September 27th to show their support for this worldwide movement.
Each class in KS2 designed a large poster about factors which contribute to climate change and the action we can take. Watch out for these posters that will soon be displayed in school.
Passionate pupils in the Senior school also shared their voice by writing and reciting short speeches to raise awareness of this global crisis.
- Company collect waste paper to recycle
- Monitoring food waste - Donating edible waste to a local Animal Shelter
- World Water Day; Raising money for international organisations, such as 'WaterAid' and '4Ocean'
- World Earth Day - Giant Art piece in KS2 area - Hand prints and messages from all pupils in the Junior school
- Year 5: 'Going Global'
- Kindergarten: 'Ocean Treasures'
- Kindergarten - Year 6: 'Water - A Wonderful World'
- Year 7: '4Ocean'
September 2019: Introduction to the Eco Schools. Assemblies for Junior and Senior schools. Introduction to Eco Quizzes. Set up Eco Board
October 2019: World Food Day October 16th. Introduce Eco decorations Homework task after half term. Eco Code competition
November 2019: Meat Free Day linked to World Vegan Month
December 2019: Eco Fayre. House event to sell decorations made out of recycled materials
February 2020: 17th Feb Assembly Senior For March Eco Days
March 2020: World Recycling Day - 18th; World Water Day - 22nd; Earth Hour 28th; Junior and Senior Assemblies/activity wb.9th
April 2020: Earth Day 22nd April Junior and Senior assemblies/activity wb.13th April.
May 2020: Eco House Quiz; 11th May Senior Assembly For June Days
June 2020: World Environment Day 5th June/World Oceans Day 8th June. Junior and Senior assemblies/activity
- Eco News CCA:Y3-6. Children report on Eco news in and around the school and hot global topics to create a Eco newsletter to be included once a month in Friday's whole school parental newsletter. Topics discussed on the radio
- Eco Bricks CCA: Y3-6 Eco brick making throughout the year to turn into usable furniture pieces.
- Fortnightly Eco Quizzes
- Class Eco Monitors - monitor food waste/classroom waste/energy usage/help with assemblies and events
- Monitoring and weighing of Recycling boxes in all classrooms - whole school
- Fortnightly Eco Quizzes
- Eco Monitors - monitor classroom waste/energy usage/help with assemblies and events
Haileybury Astana and Haileybury Almaty are committed to the welfare and Safeguarding of young people. As part of our recruitment processes we require all applicants to undergo police checks and U.K. DBS checks and we operate clear safeguarding protocols.Safeguarding and Child Protection Policy